Conflicts Risk Assessment LawyerLawyersAll Practice AreasSeattle, WA
At K&L Gates, we are looking for smart, imaginative and hard-working people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas to join us. Perhaps our search for talented visionaries and your search for important and impactful work lead to the same place.
We are seeking a Conflicts Risk Assessment Lawyer to join the Seattle office. The Conflicts Risk Assessment Lawyer is responsible for the accurate and timely analysis of new business or lateral hiring conflicts search results, the substantive review of incoming File Opening Requests, the analysis and resolution of any conflicts related to new business or lateral hiring due diligence, liaising with firm lawyers, and thorough resolution of identified conflict issues. The position requires a thorough knowledge and understanding of the Rules of Professional Conduct relating to conflicts of interest. Candidates must be self-starters who possess the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Excellent communication skills and a commitment to providing the highest quality client service are strongly preferred.
Director, Conflicts and New Business Intake; Associate Directors, Conflicts and New Business Intake; Managers and Supervisors of the Conflicts Department; Conflicts Specialists; partners; lawyers and support staff
• Perform initial evaluation of submitted conflict search requests for accuracy, completeness, and appropriate relationship descriptions of all parties to ensure proper analysis of search results
• Perform initial evaluation of conflict search results in an accurate and timely manner, including sufficient research to validate analysis, and prepare a concise, complete summary report outlining the findings for the requestor
• As necessary, contact firm lawyers to obtain clarification and additional detail in order to resolve identified conflict issues and properly document the resolution
• As necessary, explain summary report of potential conflict issues to requestor, provide backup data from conflicts database and additional research to complete the summary analysis for the requestor
• Prepare all necessary documentation for conflict resolution, including but not limited to, consent and waiver letters, joint representation, spousal consent, ethical screen memoranda, as needed
• Assist team members with the preparation of search requests, as needed, to ensure they are completed in a comprehensive manner
• Work with, and provide assistance to members of the firm’s Conflicts and New Business Intake Department in matters related to conflicts searching, conflict resolution and overall file opening processes
• Answer general and specific questions with regard to the conflicts resolution process and file openings
• Train new team members in conflicts processes and procedures when needed
• Abide by all policies, work procedures, instructions and confidentiality of all information while achieving a high quality of work product
• Stay up-to-date on software enhancements and be familiar with front-end user forms in order to provide initial user support
• Stay up-to-date on current legal issues and trends to ensure proper analysis and assessment of risk to the firm
EXPERIENCE SKILLS REQUIRED
• Juris Doctor degree required, significant conflicts of interest or paralegal experience preferred but not required
• Must possess excellent analytical skills and be able to consistently exercise discretion and independent judgment
• Ability to create, edit, proofread and finalize all written communications including e-mails, memoranda, documents, etc.
• Must be detail oriented and able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under the required time constraints that may frequently require hours extending beyond the normal work schedule; requires a high level of mental effort and concentration due to volume and fast-paced environment
• Familiar with firm’s software applications related to conflicts resolution
• Ability to deal with stress associated with time-sensitive workload
• Must be able to work independently with a high degree of accuracy, professionalism and confidentiality
ADDITIONAL ABILITIES REQUIRED
• This job operates in an office setting and is largely sedentary, requiring the routine use of a computer and other standard office equipment. The ability to open file cabinets, lift files, bend and stand on a stool may also be required.
ABOUT THE FIRM
K&L Gates is a fully integrated global law firm with approximately 2,000 lawyers across five continents. We have experienced dramatic growth in the past decade and now rank among the largest U.S. based law firms in the world. We take pride in constantly striving for innovation, imagination and an entrepreneurial spirit. We come up with big ideas and then roll up our sleeves to get the job done, guiding our clients through their most complex issues in a variety of industry sectors and across multiple regions of the world.
The industry recognition the firm has garnered in the past five years emanates from the foundation of a global community aligned on behalf of our clients. The people at K&L Gates are committed to working together to create a legacy for each other, the firm, our clients, and the communities in which we serve. We thrive in an inclusive and socially conscious environment that embraces diversity and takes a holistic approach to the career evolution of all our professionals.
To learn what makes us different from other law firms, including our collaborative approach, entrepreneurial spirit, and our commitment to diversity, check out our video, “Grow Your Career at K&L Gates.”
If you agree that we are different from other law firms - and the right place for you to grow your career - please apply for this position. For more information or to view other job opportunities, please click here to go back to our careers page.
Notice: We participate in E-Verify in certain Firm locations for purposes of verifying employment eligibility.
We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent benefits.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Firm is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Firm that employment decisions shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence. Employment practices shall not be influenced or affected by virtue of a person’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, military status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. This policy governs all aspects of employment including, without limitation, recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, assignment and dismissal. In addition, it is the Firm’s policy to provide an environment that is free of unlawful harassment of any kind including, without limitation, that which is sexual, racial, age-related, disability-related or ethnic background-related.