Manager, Market DevelopmentClient GrowthAll Practice AreasChicago, IL
At K&L Gates, we are looking for smart, imaginative and hard-working people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas to join us. Perhaps our search for talented visionaries and your search for important and impactful work lead to the same place.
We are seeking a Manager, Market Development to join the Chicago office. The Market Development Manager (MDM), reports directly to the Director, Client Engagement. The MDM will have responsibility for supporting lawyers based in Chicago and other offices as directed in the Central region. The MDM will collaborate with office leadership and individual partners to help plan, focus and direct business development activity to improve market visibility and support client development, with dotted line reporting to the Chicago Office Managing Partner.
The position will act as a primary member of the firm’s In Market team, collaborating often with global Client Growth colleagues including those focused on practice and industry, events, pitches, marketing communications and more. The MDM will be focus on creating connection across the firm; promoting department and office initiatives; and incubating valuable practices and programs.
Candidates must be driven, self-starters who possess the ability to navigate challenges independently, develop long-term positive working relationships with numerous stakeholders, and be able to contribute to a team. Excellent communication skills, professional writing capability, and a commitment to providing the highest quality client service are strongly preferred.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Co-develop and implement business development strategies, plans, and budget with In Market or office leadership consistent with the firm’s strategic initiatives.
• Work closely with lawyers, Client Growth staff and other allied professionals to work as needed to pursue new work, deepen client relationships, and support external visibility of the firm’s brand and capabilities.
• Manage business development process and pipeline.
• Maintain a strong knowledge of the regional market for professional and legal services including business trends and competitive landscape.
• Support group and individual lawyers’ business development efforts by identifying potential leads, collecting and sharing market and industry intelligence, representing the firm at networking events, tracking business development activity, identifying professional and trade associations with which the office should affiliate.
• Collaborate with firmwide marketing communications staff to assure integrity of the firm bran; the events team to produce educational and social events; the media team to identify press opportunities and messaging;
• Assist in the mentoring, training and ongoing development of local business development and marketing staff.
• Serve as a member of K&L Gates’ firmwide Client Growth team. Execute firmwide initiatives as assigned. Participate in other projects as requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Minimum of seven years of marketing, business development and/or sales experience in a professional services firm or closely related work environment. Experience within a large national or international firm preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the global marketplace for professional services required.
• MBA or similar graduate-level degree preferred.
• Outstanding communication skills. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with individuals at all levels. Demonstrated ability to influence senior professionals and help them succeed in meeting their business development objectives.
• Ability to work independently. Willingness to work hands-on to achieve objectives in an environment with little leverage.
• Outstanding project management skills and the ability to juggle competing, shifting priorities.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Consistent ability to meet deadlines.
• Collaborative, team-oriented approach to work.
• Manual dexterity required for typing, reaching and lifting of small objects, and operating office equipment.
• Frequent computer use at workstation for extended periods of time.
• Responsibilities occasionally may require an adjusted work schedule in order to meet deadlines.
• Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor.
• Access information using a computer.
• Effectively manages and communicates confidential issues.
Any information contained on this form represents the usual method of accomplishing the duties in this job. Reasonable accommodations will be considered in appropriate circumstances. However, as the nature of an accommodation may vary depending on the needs and desires of an individual with a disability, it is impossible to describe in advance specific accommodations which will be considered.
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts the firm’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
ABOUT THE FIRM
K&L Gates is a fully integrated global law firm with approximately 2,000 lawyers across five continents. We have experienced dramatic growth in the past decade and now rank among the largest U.S. based law firms in the world. We take pride in constantly striving for innovation, imagination and an entrepreneurial spirit. We come up with big ideas and then roll up our sleeves to get the job done, guiding our clients through their most complex issues in a variety of industry sectors and across multiple regions of the world.
The industry recognition the firm has garnered in the past five years emanates from the foundation of a global community aligned on behalf of our clients. The people at K&L Gates are committed to working together to create a legacy for each other, the firm, our clients, and the communities in which we serve. We thrive in an inclusive and socially conscious environment that embraces diversity and takes a holistic approach to the career evolution of all our professionals.
For more information or to view other job opportunities, please click here to go back to our careers page.
Notice: We participate in E-Verify in certain Firm locations for purposes of verifying employment eligibility.
We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent benefits.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Firm is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Firm that employment decisions shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence. Employment practices shall not be influenced or affected by virtue of a person’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, military status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. This policy governs all aspects of employment including, without limitation, recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, assignment and dismissal. In addition, it is the Firm’s policy to provide an environment that is free of unlawful harassment of any kind including, without limitation, that which is sexual, racial, age-related, disability-related or ethnic background-related.