Sr Practice AssistantAdministration and OperationsAll Practice AreasOrange County, CA
At K&L Gates, we are looking for smart, imaginative and hard-working people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas to join us. Perhaps our search for talented visionaries and your search for important and impactful work lead to the same place.
We are seeking a Sr. Practice Assistant to join the Orange County office. The Senior Practice Assistant is responsible for accurate and timely completion of all high level administrative and assistant work assigned by Partners and Senior Associates. Those in this role must observe confidentiality on all client matters and adhere to all procedures and guidelines set by the firm. The Senior Practice Assistant provides considerable knowledge of legal procedures and terminology within particular practice areas along with the ability to follow complex instructions and work on his/her own initiative under limited supervision. Candidates must be self-starters who possess the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Excellent communication skills and a commitment to providing the highest quality client service are strongly preferred.
Timekeepers, clients, other practice assistants, and local and firmwide shared support services staff
• Performing complex legal secretarial activities that may be highly confidential or sensitive, requiring diplomacy and discretion
• Creating, editing, and proofreading letters, legal documents, and memos, including checking documents for content and context
• Organizing and maintaining all correspondence and documents using the relevant document management system
• Managing emails, calendar appointments, and client contact lists
• Scheduling meetings and coordinating all logistics
• Coordinating services with Global Shared Business Services
• Training, assisting, and providing orientation for new and less experienced members of staff
• Providing business development support when necessary
• Using internal library resources for external research as directed by timekeepers
• Managing physical and electronic files, including intake, retention, retrieval, and transfer of records
• Maintaining an organized and secured work station and filing areas
• Running critical document checks to ensure all files have been appropriately saved
• Importing electronic documents, including scanning documents into the document management system
• Coordinating entering, editing, and tracking daily time recording when required for assigned timekeepers
• Coordinating and preparing monthly client bills
• Preparing check requests and expense reports
• Opening files and conducting conflict checks
• Coordinating, verifying, and obtaining appropriate approvals for all domestic and international travel arrangements with the firm’s travel provider and processing related business expense reimbursements
• Assisting other practice assistants with overflow work and providing backup support during periods of annual or personal leave
• Providing backup support for reception and office or client services functions, depending on location
• Assisting clients when needed, for example, with document revisions, faxing, or photo copying
• Performing other relevant duties in the particular practice area as directed by the immediate supervisor, including, but not limited to, Practice Area Leader/ Coordinator or Department Head administrative work, practice development initiatives, and project work
• Working overtime as occasionally required
EXPERIENCE SKILLS REQUIRED
• Significant experience in a similar role within a medium to large law or professional services firm working for senior lawyers and partners
• High proficiency in the use of Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Typing speed of 65 wpm or above
• Exemplary oral and written communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail, including using correct spelling and grammar
• Excellent client service skills
• Can-do attitude and flexible approach
• Previous experience with Elite, Legal Key, and document management system or comparable software would be an advantage, as would conference room booking software and travel agency programs
ADDITIONAL ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Work autonomously with limited guidance
• Organize and prioritize own workload and help timekeepers with their organization
• Meet deadlines
• Use own judgment in decision making to solve problems and achieve business outcomes
• Take the initiative in handling projects and anticipating what needs to be done
• Understand and follow specific and detailed instructions in oral and written form
• This job operates in an office setting and is largely sedentary, requiring the routine use of a computer and other standard office equipment. The ability to open file cabinets, lift files, bend, and stand on a stool may also be required.
ABOUT THE FIRM
K&L Gates is a fully integrated global law firm with approximately 2,000 lawyers across five continents. We have experienced dramatic growth in the past decade and now rank among the largest U.S. based law firms in the world. We take pride in constantly striving for innovation, imagination and an entrepreneurial spirit. We come up with big ideas and then roll up our sleeves to get the job done, guiding our clients through their most complex issues in a variety of industry sectors and across multiple regions of the world.
The industry recognition the firm has garnered in the past five years emanates from the foundation of a global community aligned on behalf of our clients. The people at K&L Gates are committed to working together to create a legacy for each other, the firm, our clients, and the communities in which we serve. We thrive in an inclusive and socially conscious environment that embraces diversity and takes a holistic approach to the career evolution of all our professionals.
For more information or to view other job opportunities, please click here to go back to our careers page.
Notice: We participate in E-Verify in certain Firm locations for purposes of verifying employment eligibility.
We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent benefits.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Firm is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Firm that employment decisions shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence. Employment practices shall not be influenced or affected by virtue of a person’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, military status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. This policy governs all aspects of employment including, without limitation, recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, assignment and dismissal. In addition, it is the Firm’s policy to provide an environment that is free of unlawful harassment of any kind including, without limitation, that which is sexual, racial, age-related, disability-related or ethnic background-related.